Användarnamn: Lösenord: Kom ihåg mig
  • Sida:

ÄMNE: ESSAY materials

ESSAY materials 8 år 10 månader sedan #6464

• JamesMcWhirr
  • JamesMcWhirr Profilbild Författare till inlägg
  • Tack mottaget: 22
On this first post, you can find several goodies:
- the assessment instrument (2015criteria.pdf)
- some sample essays to read and grade
- the ppt with advice for writing a good TOK essay (TOKESSAY.ppt)

Be Logga in ansluta till konversationen.

"So when people say that poetry shouldn't be studied at school because it's irrelevant, I suspect that [they] have had things pretty easy."
Jeanette Winterson
Last edit: av JamesMcWhirr.

ESSAY materials 5 år 10 månader sedan #14663

• JamesMcWhirr
This is the ppt that takes you through the suggested stages of working on a TOK essay. The M15 SR will also be temporarily added here so you can check out what was said about the essay titles that we worked with in this exercise (pages 12-18).
Bilagor:

"So when people say that poetry shouldn't be studied at school because it's irrelevant, I suspect that [they] have had things pretty easy."
Jeanette Winterson

ESSAY materials 5 år 10 månader sedan #14680

• JamesMcWhirr
Attached here are the prescribed titles for 13I/K (M16).
Bilagor:

Jeanette Winterson

ESSAY materials: TK/PPF 4 år 10 månader sedan #17012

• JamesMcWhirr
Attached here is the TK/PPF form. This must be downloaded by each student, and completed with reflections at three points during the essay-writing process. These points are referred to on the form as "interactions" with the teacher.

For us, the three interactions will take the following form:

Interaction 1: the lesson when we all discussed the six prescribed titles
Interaction 2: a message to me, probably on ManageBac, that I will reply to, about your TOK essay progress during the second week of December (the final week before the draft deadline)
Interaction 3: my comments on your essay draft (December/January)

After each of these three "interactions", you should complete the form with reflections, and then keep the form saved so that you can submit it to the IB when you submit your essay.
Bilagor:

Jeanette Winterson

Feedback from recent subject reports 4 år 7 månader sedan #17744

• JamesMcWhirr
M15 Subject Report

- KQs that you incorporate in your essay "should perform the function of stepping stones", i.e. they should be part of a carefully constructed exploration of the title as you argue your response to it. Lists of related KQs rarely offer much.

- Be careful about converting the title into a KQ. While I have encouraged you to explicitly consider how the title could be worded as a KQ, and even to rephrase the title as a KQ, this is only to make sure you keep a TOK focus in the discussion. Remember that any essay you write should be clearly focused on the title you were given, and if you replace the title with a KQ, there is a danger you will produce a response that is no longer relevant to the title. The SR warns against converting titles into "my knowledge question".

- Yet again, the SR identified history as an AOK that is often very poorly treated. History is an academic pursuit conducted by professional historians. As such, it is very different from writing that can be considered biased. History involves perspectives, but doesn't usually involve bias.

- I've said this before myself, so allow me to quote the SR verbatim here: "Examiners greatly appreciate effort by candidates to use examples that arise naturally from their own experience."

- Again we are warned of the problems inherent in definitions. The terms and concepts in the title are of great importance, but they often require discussing rather than being subjected to a mechanical definition. Discussing the terms allows you to show understanding of their different possible interpretations and how these interpretations are relevant to your discussion and arguments. Mechanical definitions often close down these avenues of exploration.

- Essay titles need to be "unpacked and explored". This essentially means you need to consider and discuss the titles, and what they mean, before you start responding to them.

- The points (see below) from the M14 SR are still just as valid for the essays from M15 (and doubtless from M16 too). They are worth reading.

M14 Subject Report

- Don't turn to any of the so-called TOK help sites on the internet. Examiners repeatedly bemoan how these sites seem to be "subverting the candidates’ own process of coming to an understanding of the chosen prescribed title". THESE SITES DON'T HELP YOU, AS IN TOK YOU NEED TO SHOW HOW YOU HAVE REACHED CERTAIN CONCLUSIONS.

- Knowledge Questions should not just appear in your essays, but should be coherent "stepping stones" towards the building of a well-argued response. For this reason, starting the essay with a series of KQs is not a good idea.

- Be especially careful with discussions of history. For some reason, it is repeatedly mentioned in SRs as being the victim of poor clichéd assertions (remember our IB1 forum post about that?).

- It was observed that there was (finally) a reduction in the amount of hypothetical examples last year, and that students are getting better at using real, specific examples to illustrate their discussion. However, examiners noticed a worrying trend towards the same examples appearing in essays the world over. These were often pertinent and useful examples, but it was "their ubiquity on a global scale that is so troubling". This suggests that students are turning to the notorious internet sources of "TOK help" for examples. This is something that you should avoid at all costs. Instead, I recommend you look to your own personal experience (and educational experience) for examples, as this is the best way to avoid presenting the examiner with something that she's already seen 500 times.

- Be diligent with establishing the meaning of key concepts in the title. Don't turn to dictionaries for help with doing this, you need to establish your own conceptual clarity rather than assuming you can just find the answer somewhere. That means you need to argue for a particular way of treating a term, rather than mechanically defining it.

- As always, the SR felt candidates rely too often on assertions that are not justified through coherent argument. Remember that more or less anything you say in TOK can be contested, so you must provide arguments to justify your position. For example, you cannot build an argument on the claim that art is subjective without first establishing, through sound argumentation, that art IS in fact subjective, not matter how obvious you might think it is that art is subjective.

- Remember these key requirements for essay presentation:
+ use double-line spacing
+ a standard 12-point font
+ no cover page
+ start the essay with the essay title and its number
+ no name or session number anywhere on your essay

Jeanette Winterson
  • Sida: